Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Normal Day 139 - 112.2

I only expected to do this for a few weeks; however, alternate day fasting has made me feel so healthy, happy, energetic and (yes, even) beautiful again that I have continued doing it for over 9 months now. I honestly feel at least 10 years younger. This has inspired me to take better care of myself and my family. Instead of having junk food in the house, we have organic fruits and veggies. My son balked at first, but even he is snacking on organic carrots, plums, nuts, etc. now. There is a package of frozen hotdogs and another of frozen hamburger patties sitting in the freezer gathering ice crystals -- he has lost his appetite for that stuff. Now, we fight over who gets the last apple -- instead of the last chocolate Ding Dong.

A couple of months ago we decided to shut off the Cable TV at our house. It was a waste of money and a waste of time. We just got tired of all the stupid shows and annoying commericials blasting us with ads for drugs, junk food, and other useless things that we didn't need or want. I really enjoy documentaries, but there were so many commercials that I would forget what I was watching and change the channel before the show came back on. We never got in to the reality shows or the talent or game shows. We didn't like watching shows about violence and murder either. That doesn't leave a lot of American TV shows to watch, does it? If we really want to watch a TV show we log onto Hulu.com -- if we want to see a movie we walk over to the video store and pick something out together. We can read the news or stream a video online. It took a little bit of adjustment in the beginning, I was used to plopping down in front of the TV when I got bored. We read and talk more now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have just had the pleasure of reading through your blog. I too am one of those people who no matter what I've done to lose weight, it never works and fasting is the only thing that really helps me now. I am on day 6 of my current water fast. I don't know how long I will go, but my longest fasts have been 13 days and 21 days. Before that I experimented with different versions of intermittent fasting and will do that again once I'm done with this fast and the refeeding process.

When it comes to alternate-day fasting, for me it seems that a 24-hour fast works better, from 6pm one day to 6pm the next day because that way I still get to eat something everyday while still fasting for a full 24 hours and it makes it possible to tweak the timing a bit if you have eating engagements.

I'm glad to see you are still at it and have had so much success. Just know that there are plenty of people out there who have the same issues with losing weight and that your experience will help others.

Muse said...

anon,

Thank you for your encouraging comment.

Congratulations on 6 days of water fasting. I know how much will power it takes to do a water fast -- and how great and rejuvenating it feels. My will to do longer fasts crumbles after a couple of days. Perhaps it's because we live in an heavily hispanic community and the incredible aroma of food is always wafting in from our neighbors' kitchens.

That seems to be the key to success with intermittent fasting -- finding your own unique eating window. Whatever works best for you -- don't worry about what other people do -- listen to your body. I think that it might be easy for me to go 36+ hours without eating because my metabolism is slower than most people's. I actually have more energy and vitality when I'm fasting than I do after a meal. My boyfriend is the opposite, he is a powerhouse of energy and does better eating regular meals.

Best of luck to you!

Theresa