Sunday, October 12, 2008

Normal Day 159 - 108.6

My weight after fasting has finally dropped below 110 pounds, but my weight after eating still has not. I'm really, really getting close though! This has been the easiest diet I've ever been on. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been easy, it's just been the easiest. If you are considering trying alternate day fasting, I say, "Go for it!" Medical studies say it is good for you health-wise. The studies suggest it prevents cancer, heart disease, diabetes, alzheimers, huntington's, it improves asthma conditions, it improves insulin sensitivity, slows down aging, plus, you'll feel great. You won't starve to death or drop dead if you go without eating for one day. You'll have more free time to do something else besides preparing dinner or cleaning up a messy kitchen. Write a journal. Go see a movie. Take a walk. Learn to draw or paint or how to play a musical instrument. Take up a new hobby.

I know that a lot of people have a problem with loose skin after losing weight. When I first started losing weight the skin on my forearms got a bit wrinkly and loose. However, it eventually snapped back and tightened up again. I don't know if the skin eventually tightening back up is unique to this diet or if that is something that happens on all diets eventually. The media has lots of stories of people requiring surgery to correct loose skin after rapid weight loss. Maybe it's because the weight loss on this diet has been so gradual that loose skin has not been an issue for me? Many fasters comment on how great their skin looks when they are fasting, perhaps there is something to this? Maybe the life extending properties of caloric restriction and/or alternate day fasting are doing more than slowing down aging and actually can slightly reverse the aging of some body tissues? I guess we would have to alter the theory of aging that claims that once an RNA error is introduced -- it is permanent. Just speculating ...

Just ran across a newsclip video on alternate day fasting.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/alternate-day-fasting/11727410/

*

No comments: