Monday, February 4, 2008

Normal Day 36 - 131

Well, the extra day of low calorie fasting seems to have helped -- that is a relief. I will be doing that more often. The protein powder actually tasted pleasant, even though I mixed it in water. I wasn't grimacing at the thought of drinking it again. It really DID take away all my hunger.

Peculiar Phenomenon
I noticed that by the end of the day yesterday, I was having trouble speaking loud enough to be understood by others. My voice was barely a whisper. I had to use the amount of breath that would normally be almost shouting just to be heard clearly. Even then, I had to repeat myself several times. I think I recall reading a study on fasting and voice. I believe they attributed it to general weakness from fasting itself (or maybe that's just what I wrote it off as when reading the article?), however this was NOT the case. My vocal chords themselves felt strange like a paralyzed knot in my thoat when I tried to speak. I'll have to see if I can find that article again and read it more carefully this time.

I located the abstract on the study, Effect of Fasting on Voice in Women.

Results: Vocal fatigue was the most common reported complaint followed by deepening of the voice and harshness. Self-reported phonatory effort was significantly affected by fasting. Out of the 28 subjects, 23 had an increase in their phonatory effort. Vocal acoustic parameters did not change markedly except for the maximum phonation time, which decreased significantly. Laryngeal video-endostroboscopy did not reveal any significant changes during fasting. All stroboscopic parameters were the same except for a decrease in the amplitude of the mucosal waves in one subject and the presence of a posterior chink in three subjects. Conclusion: Fasting affects voice. There is an increase in the phonatory effort, and vocal fatigue is the most common symptom.

Food:
1 scoop protein powder in water
1 cup oatmeal with splash Silk soymilk with DHA
2 cups lentil soup (lentils, carrots, celery, garlic, bouillon, spices)
2 T kefir
1 whole wheat tortilla
2 T of tuna spread (tuna, mayo, onion)

Exercise:
walk 30 minutes
3x10 girl pushups

No comments: