Sunday, January 6, 2008

Normal Day 22 -- 139.2

My son watched an episode of the cartoon, Southpark. Apparently they were making fun of Jewish people and the holocaust. He thought he was being funny by mimicking what he had heard. My boyfriend and I were appalled. We tried to explain to him the seriousness of genocide, but he didn't quite understand. So, I researched some movies that we could watch together. He is a very sensitive person, I figured if he saw a heartbreaking movie or documentary he would begin to comprehend that it isn't funny to laugh or joke about genocide. I made a list of movies and the first video store we went to didn't have a one -- not even Schindler's List! We drove to another store and were able to find Schindler's List and The Pianist. I was really hoping to find a 9 and a 1/2 hour long documentary that aired on PBS called Shoah.

We got home from the video store and my son was in his room reading the book we bought him yesterday. He was annoyed and angry when he realized that it was a children's book about the holocaust. Even more pissed when I made him sit through Schindler's List. I remember the first time I ever saw the movie, I curled up in a fetal position on the living room floor and sobbed for an hour when it was finished. By the end of the movie he understood that the holocaust and genocide is NOT funny.

We also researched together and found that thousands of people with my mother's maiden name had died or been murdered in the death camps and ghettos. If you're curious you can look up your own family name on the Shoah website . You can also add to their database if you have information on people who should be listed.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup tuna & tofu with 1/2 tsp mayo 1/2 tsp coconut oil and chopped onions, 1 cup of steamed brussels sprouts

Snack: small handful of dried cherries & almonds, 1 organic apple

Lunch: 2 cups of homemade cooked pinto beans with kefir drizzled on top

Snack (or should I say -- SNEAK?): tsp of Nutella (straight from the jar)

Dinner: salmon & tuna sushi, green olives, 2 tablespoons Baileys in 1/2 cup milk

Pinto Beans

Rinse a bag of dried pinto beans, cover them with water and leave to soak overnight

In the morning, drain and rinse the beans again. Put them into a pot and cover with water, leave them to simmer 2-3 hours. If you want, smash some of the beans with a wooden spoon against the side of the pan to make a thicker broth.

Season the pot of beans with the following:

1 tsp Better than Bouillon Mushroom base
1 tsp Better than Bouillon Vegetable base
1 tsp Coconut Oil

No comments: